Tuesday 1 October 2013

Forever Innocent - Deanna Roy

18168448
"Our baby died on prom night, and nothing was ever the same again."

Corabelle doesn’t feel like any of the other college girls. On what should have been one of the happiest nights of her life, she and her boyfriend Gavin watched a nurse disconnect the ventilator from their seven-day-old baby. During the funeral two days later, Gavin walked out and never returned.

Since then, her life has been a spiral of disasters. The only thing that has helped is her ability to black out whenever the pain gets too hard to bear, a habit that has become an addiction.

When Gavin shows up in her astronomy class four years later, he is hell-bent on getting her back, insisting she forgive him. Corabelle knows she can’t resist the touch that fills the empty ache that has haunted her since he left. But if he learns what she has done, if he follows the trail back through her past, her secrets will destroy their love completely. And once again, she’ll lose the only person who always believed she was innocent.

New Adult Contemporary Romance

I had high hopes for this book. I have to admit, not all of them were met but, the book was awesome anyway. I swear I have never cried so much whilst reading a book before. the emotional roller coaster that we, as readers, are taken on is epic. I didn't agree with the fast pace of the novel, the way the characters came together so quickly (those who have read the book will understand this) but it didn't deflect from the raw pain and heartbreak that comes with losing a baby. I don't think that some of the ideas in this book are plausible, but without them, the book would not have come together like it did.

Gavin was the complex, male character that we get in most New Adult books, but with a twist. I think that the raw deal he was handed (having to sign the papers to turn of the ventilators) just made him stronger. I can't say that I agree with the decisions he made regarding his vasectomy and his hand in prostitution, but I understand. I can understand why someone like him, at such a young age, would do something so drastic.

Corabelle wasn't my favourite female character, I felt as though I couldn't relate to her, but again I understand where her actions came from. I can understand the suicidal notions in the book and I can understand her reluctance to forgive someone who walks out on their child's funeral, however, her reluctance to understand Gavin's point of view did grate on me.

Jenny was my favourite character. I think everyone deserves an amazing friend like her. One who doesn't pressure, just stands by your side through all the ups and downs.

The book starts with the female character, Corabelle, rushing to get to her astronomy class (sound familiar?). Here you get glimpses of the past and the struggles she is going through.

My heart made a tiny pang...
My refusal to date had earned me the nickname Frozen Latte at work, but I wouldn’t crack, even if the hottest man in San Diego sauntered up to the counter at Cool Beans and asked for chai with a side of Corabelle. Not worth it. I knew that better than anyone.
Within the first chapter, the main protagonists are reunited (sort of) and we see the start of a new beginning. the dual POV's I think were necessary, for us to get a real understanding of the characters and the emotions running through them. After trying to switch electives, both characters try to stay amicable in their attitudes towards each other. this doesn't turn out so well, as you can imagine, because the past was inexorably bought up, and once again Gavin ran.

Throughout the book we see the characters rekindle their relationship and there are some pretty steamy scenes in there for those who sumply cannot read a book without them.

When you get about 75% into the book you will read one of most hearbreaking stories that I have read. The story of their child is told in its completion and, I sobbed. I'm not afraid to admit, that I did cry. It was truly gut wrenching and the author did an incredible job of making an almost simply written text, one of the most powerful I have read.
How sweetly he slept. I wished that he would open his eyes, just once. But he hadn’t, and wouldn’t. His belly gurgled and I had to smile, but when the brief happier feeling passed, grief overwhelmed me so fast that I couldn’t hold the tears back. My body had found more, an ocean of them, and I leaned back so they wouldn’t fall on Finn’s face.
The end of the novel was not something which we could have anticipated as a reader. the swiftness of the attempted suicide was unexpected but I think perfect in terms of when it occured in the text. I did not, however, agree with the fact the Corabelle agreed that she needed help or the fact that she wasn't as distraugh as, I imagine, most suicidal people are when she was saved.

The one thing that I would have changed is the fact pace in which everything happened, the reconciliation og Gavin and Corabelle. however, I do love the book andI think that the next book will show us even more insight into the characters and the characters lives. I cannot wait to see what she does next.

3.5/5 stars
 




No comments:

Post a Comment